Laptop that can replace desktop 2017
We will help you find the best desktop replacement laptops of 2017. People who are looking for the top desktop replacement laptops are looking for workstation computer with added mobility of a laptop – a laptop that can replace your desktop. When looking for a portable powerhouse that you can call the best desktop replacement laptop, then you need to take several factors in mind. This includes an extremely powerful processor, lots of memory, storage and best laptop dedicated graphics card that can handle any GPU-intensive task with ease. Let us discuss these one by one so that you can get an idea on what to look for when choosing the best laptop to replace your desktop.
High resolution display – An ideal desktop replacement laptop should come with quad HD screen for being the most productive. A laptop with quad HD 4k screen packs four times as more pixels a typical HD screen that you find a cheap laptop. With more pixels, you are able to see more at a time, allowing you to be more productive. This allows you to squeeze more toolbars and windows at a time. The minimum you should settle when buying a desktop replacement laptop is full HD screen which also pack many times more pixels than an HD screen. Some people actually prefer getting a full HD laptop over quad HD to avoid straining their eyes. If you are looking for cheap desktop replacement laptop that are nothing but big, full size laptops that are only good for getting your daily computing tasks done, then check out our article where we have reviewed several different cheap laptops with windows that can help you replace your desktop.
Only Xeon, i7 Processor – Having a very powerful processor is indispensible when buying the best desktop replacement laptop. This is because most of the hard work is done by the processor and to run CPU-intensive tasks, you need nothing but the best processor. Consider focusing on standard voltage processors from the Intel Xeon and Core i7 family. Stay away from ultra low voltage processors because such CPUs are meant to be used in thin and light ultrabook laptops where our main focus is to get great battery life while getting decent performance. When buying a laptop to replace desktop, our main focus is to get maximum performance.
Hybrid or total SSD storage – This is another feature that affects the speed. No matter how fast your computer is, if it has been outfitted with a slow hard disk, you won’t be able to squeeze out best performance. In a desktop replacement laptop, one has to go for SSD equipped laptop or hybrid storage. In latter, one gets a typical hard disk equipped with a SSD which is used for launching applications and transfer data quickly.
Discrete GPU – Many people who buy a laptop that can replace desktop are looking to run both CPU- and GPU-intensive applications and games. That is why it is important to invest in laptop with dedicated graphics for best GPU performance. Intel integrated graphics just would not cut if you are planning to use GPU intensive apps.
Minimum 16GB RAM – People who buy desktop replacement laptops are looking to run multiple memory-hogging applications at a time. In order to have a jitter-free experience, it is important to get laptop with 16GB RAM. At the same time, see if the memory is expandable or not because you would not want to be stuck with 16GB forever.
Here are the best desktop replacement laptops of 2017.
Best desktop replacement laptop of 2017 is MSI GT62VR Dominator Pro-005
MSI GT62VR Dominator Pro is touted as one of the best gaming laptops under 2000 dollars but it is also a serious workstation, desktop replacement laptop. It packs an extremely powerful i7-6700HQ processor that is backed by M.2 SSD and whopping 32GB RAM. To ensure you never run into storage problems, folks at MSI have equipped it with an additional 1000GB hard disk. The graphics card is an Nvidia Pascal 1070 GPU that brings desktop-level performance. MSI GT62VR Dominator Pro is easily the one that shatters desktop performance cliché.
* 15.6″ Full HD Non Reflection 1920×1080 screen
* Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad Core Processor (2.6-3.5GHz)
* Nvidia Pascal GeForce GTX 1070 8G GDDR5 discrete graphics card
* 32GB RAM, 256GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
* Steel Series Full-Color Backlight Keyboard w/ Anti-Ghost Key + Silver Lining, Virtual Reality – VR ready, Metal chassis
Asus ZenBook Pro UX501VW
Asus ZenBook Pro UX501VW is probably most well-configured desktop replacement laptop. Proudly boasting a touchscreen 4k quad HD screen, this Asus laptop packs a quad HD screen with 3840×2160 pixels which are even more than what you find a typical full HD laptop. Powering it is a standard-voltage i7 processor and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M graphics card. It comes with an extremely fast 512GB SSD that has transfer speeds of upto 1400 MB/s which when paired with 16GB RAM makes it jitter-free and amazingly smooth.
* 15.6-inch IPS display with 4k quad HD resolution, breathtaking vivid screen with wide viewing angles, 74-percent Adobe RGB color reproduction, 10-point touchscreen
* Standard-voltage Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU clocked at 2.6GHz with capable of turbo boost to upto 3.5GHz
* Nvidia GTX GeForce 960M discrete GPU
* 16GB of DDR4 memory, 512GB SSD, Comes with one year accidental damage protection
* Bang & Olufsen ICEpower stereo speakers, aluminum uni-body design, backlit keyboard
Ultimate laptop to replace desktop – Asus ROG G752VS OC Edition
Asus ROG G752VS is for those who want the ultimate and best desktop replacement laptop. You would want one if you don’t have budget constraints and you want the absolute best. It has breathtaking design and unmatchable specifications as well. It has top-of-the-line Intel Core i7-6820HK laptop that is paired with Nvidia Pascal 1070 GPU for stutter-free gameplay, immersive VR-ready experience and unparalled graphics performance.
* 17.3-inch 1080p Display, G-Sync technology with 178-degree viewing angles
* Unmatched Performance with Factory Overclocked Intel Core i7 6820HK 2.7GHz Processor
* 64GB RAM, Factory Overclocked 2400MHz, 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD with NVMe PCIE Controller
* Powerful battery rated 88WHrs, 8 cell Li-ion Battery Pack, Illuminated Chiclet Keyboard
Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK
This Dell Inspiron is an affordable desktop replacement laptop that is built like a tank. It packs an i7 standard-voltage processor and Nvidia 960M discrete graphics card for best CPU and GPU performance. There is ample storage onboard which is backed by small SSD that acts as cache to keep system running fast.
* 15.6 inch full HD screen, 1920×1080 resolution
* QC Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
* 1024GB hard disk + 8GB SSD cache, backlit keyboard, 6-cell 74Whr battery
Lenovo Ideapad 700
Lenovo Ideapad 700 is one of the most affordable and cheap desktop replacement laptop. It has standard voltage i7 processor and Nvidia dedicated graphics card that delivers next generation CPU and GPU performance. The keyboard is full size and backlit as well. The layout of keys are precise – just where you expect them to be and there is no surprises. It is a cheap laptop with lots of processing power and lots of memory as well.
* Full HD screen with IPS tech + full size keyboard
* Intel Core i7-6700HQ processor with quad cores and standard voltage + Nvidia GeForce GTX 950 with 4GB of GDDR3 dedicated RAM.
* 1000GB HDD with 128GB SSD + 16GB RAM, backlit keyboard
Asus ROG GL502VM
This is one of affordable Asus’ Nvidia Pascal GPU laptops that brings top notch specifications without forcing you to spend two grand on a desktop replacement laptop. It features 15.6” IPS display with wide viewing angles, a very fast 128GB M.2 PCIE SSD paired with 1TB hard disk and Nvidia 1060 flagship discrete graphics card. It was made for hardcore gaming in mind but is perfect for working on CPU and GPU intensive software as well.
* 15.6″ full HD screen with 160-degree viewing angles with G-SYNC technology for fast frame refresh
* Intel Core i7-7700HQ 7th generation quad core CPU accompanied by Nvidia 1060 pascal desktop-standard graphics card
* 128GB SSD, 1024GB hard disk, 16GB RAM, Only 0.9-inch thin and 4.9-pounds in weight
* Red backlit keyboard with 1.6-mm key travel for comfortable typing experience
MSI GP62M Leopard Pro-406
This MSI laptop comes with 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, latest i7 CPU and latest Nvidia Pascal 1060 graphics card for best performance. Attractively priced, MSI brings desktop-level GPU performance with GeForce GTX1060 which is an Nvidia Pascal laptop GPU that promises upto three times more graphics performance over previous generation GPUs. It has everything you would expect from a powerful desktop replacement laptop.
* 15.6 screen with anti-reflective coating, FHD resolution
* Core i7-7700HQ CPU with quad cores, clocked at 2.8GHz with turbo boost speed of 3.8GHz
* 16GB RAM, 256GB M.2 SATA SSD
* Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 GPU with 6GB VRAM, backlit full color keyboard, metal build