Top laptops for parents and elders in 2017
Which is the best laptop for parents or elders this holiday season or birthday? That is a tough question as you are not buying a laptop for yourself but for someone you love the most.
Finding the best laptop for parents in 2017 is a difficult task. You do not need the latest Core i5 processor while buying laptop for elders or parents. You also do not need to one with 16 gigabytes of memory or two 256GB solid state drives configured in RAID 0 configuration. Keep in mind you are not buying a laptop for yourself and buying something with powerful dedicated graphics card would be a bit overkill as they would not be playing Halo or doing anything graphic intensive. They need something that they can easily use and does not burn their laps with immense heat. In other words, they do not need the best desktop replacement laptop to work on CAD or something. They need something that runs cool and is powerful enough for doing video calls with you, web surfing, Youtube videos and a laptop that does not put strain on their eyes.
What you need to know when buying laptop for your parents?
1. Big display – Get a laptop with minimum 14.1 inch display. As one grows old, their eyes become weak so there is no need to get them a cheap mini laptop or netbook. If you get them one, they will spend majority of the time squinting at the small screen trying to make out the text. We do not want that to happen, so the best laptop for elders should come with either 17.3″, 14.1” or 15.6” displays.
2. Resolution – This is yet another overlooked aspect. Old people have poor eyesight and you would not want a display with 4k quad HD panel that will make everything super tiny. While they will be able to see more data at a time but they will develop eye strain without few minutes. Same can be said about laptops with full HD panel which we think is still too high for a normal person. Fortunately, this will keep your budget low too. Most of the laptops are under 400 dollars so you won’t have to spend a fortune to find the best laptop for parents.
3. Storage – Parents like to store a lot of family photos and videos on their computers. Therefore refrain from buying laptops with solid state drives because they usually do not come with adequate capacity unless you spend a couple thousand dollars. In simple words, just get typical laptops with mechanical hard disks. But if responsiveness is what you are looking for, cheap laptops with SSD will do the job fine.
4. Battery Life – Make sure battery runtimes is at least 4 hours as sometimes they would want to use their computers on couch or in bed. You certainly would not want them to lug those heavy chargers with them, do you?
Here are the best laptop for parents in 2017.
HP 15 is the best laptop for parents. It is affordable and packs enough power to run videos and applications. We love the fact it has multitouch display so elder people can simply use their finger to interact with the big 15” display easily. It has ample memory and storage onboard as well. Windows 10 comes preloaded with it and parents can restore it to default settings with touch of a button. This is incredibly helpful when you are not around and they have messed up the system.
* 15.6 inch touchscreen LED-lit display
*Quad Core N3540 processor clocked at 2.16GHz
* 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard disk, integrated DVD/CD-RW
Lenovo IdeaPad 17
This is an affordable yet powerful 17″ laptop out there. It packs i5 processor and 8GB RAM that lets keep the system running lagfree. The big 17-inch display really makes it ideal for elders with weak eye sight. Big display really helps in reading text and browsing the web. Thanks to large chassis, Lenovo has outfitted it with a large keyboard that has dedicated numberpad as well. There are plenty of ports onboard which makes it a cheap desktop replacement laptop.
* 17.3″ display with HD+ resolution
* Intel Core i5-6200U processor for long battery life
* 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVD drive
Dell Inspiron i3552-8040BLK
If you are looking for a really fast laptop for parents and do not want to waste your time on online shopping sites anymore, simply get this rock-solid Dell laptop that costs under 300. It is very light and its solid state drive reduces app and windows runtimes. This laptop has big screen, something people who poor eyesight appreciate. This laptop is very fast thanks to latest processor and fast SSD storage that is like a turbo charger for your laptop.
* Intel Pentium N3700 processor with integrated graphics
* 4 GB RAM + 128 GB SSD Storage
* 15.6 Inch HD display with true life tech
* Windows 10 pre-installed
Acer Aspire ES 15
Acer Aspire ES 15 is an affordable laptop for parents packing the very capable and efficient i3 processor that delivers stellar battery life and decent performance for everyday computing. Acer claims you will be able to get upto 6.5-hours runtime which is amazing. There is 4GB RAM onboard and 1000GB hard disk so you can be rest assured that they won’t be running out of storage in many years to come.
* 15.6″ LED backlit screen, HD 1366×768 pixels
* Intel Core i3-6100u ULV processor, clocked at 2.3GHz with 3MB L3 cache for improved performance, Intel HD Graphics 520
* DDR3L 4GB RAM, 1000GB hard disk, DVD drive
This HP laptop offers optimum performance and comes with 15.6 inch display, 1TB hard disk and 4GB RAM. It also has a dedicated num pad and a wonderful 5 hour battery life. This laptop looks professional and has superior build quality. It has big full size keyboard with numberpad so they will be able to input data quickly and comfortably. It even has AMD Radeon graphics card for smoother graphics and better performance while viewing multimedia content.
* 15.6 inches display with 1366 x 768 pixels screen resolution
* AMD A6-7310 processor with AMD Radeon R4 graphics
* 1000 GB Serial ATA-300 HDD + 4GB RAM; DVD SuperMulti optical disk drive
* Windows 10 Home OS
HP Pavilion 17
HP Pavilion 17 is an affordable 17 inch laptop which comes with a capable i3 processor, 6GB RAM and 1TB hard disk. You also get super multi-DVD drive onboard which coupled with loud speakers make it an excellent laptop for parents. Despite being a cheap laptop, HP did not cut any quality corners in making this laptop. It operates smooth and there were no problems or issues found during the short time we spent with it. Highly recommended laptop for parents.
| 17.3 inch screen, HD+ 1600×900 pixel reoslution
| Intel Core i3-5005U processor, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows 10, dual speakers
Dell Inspiron 17
The Dell Inspiron 17 is a strong laptop with 17 inch display. It comes with quad core AMD processor and Radeon graphics that delivers fast and smooth user experience. There is enormous storage and memory onboard that makes it ideal for those parents who store a lot of pictures and videos on it. The keyboard and touchpad are nice and large, giving the user plenty of space to do typing and navigation comfortably.
| 17.3″ display LED Backlight, HD+ Truelife Display, 1600×900 pixels
| AMD A8-7410 processor, Radeon GPU, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVD drive
Lenovo Ideapad 110 17.3
Lenovo Ideapad 110 has big display and thin design. It has more than enough computing power for daily tasks and more. If your parents have weak eye sight, they will have absolutely no problem in using the Lenovo Ideapad 110 that has mammoth 17.3 inch display. Lenovo is well known for making high quality laptops and we are sure after buying this laptop to your parents, you won’t face any trouble.
* 17.3-Inch Screen, Mobile Intel HD graphics; 1600 x 900 pixels resolution
* AMD A4-7210 processor + AMD Radeon R3 Graphics
* 4GB + 500 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, DVD/CD-RW drive
HP Stream 14
HP Stream 14 is cheap, cheerful and we bet your parents will love it. This 200 dollar laptop boots up very fast thanks to the SSD drive used in it. Windows 10 runs without any lag on it thanks to the speedy processor and SSD storage. Preloaded with windows 10, this deal includes free Office for one year. It has long battery life and super light to carry around. If you are looking for a budget laptop for your parents, this is an excellent choice.
* 14-Inch 1366×768 pixel HD display, 10 hours and 45 minutes of battery life
* Intel Celeron N3060 processor with integrated graphics
* Genuine Windows 10, pre-loaded Office 365 Personal subscription for one year
* 32 GB Solid-State Drive, 4GB RAM, storage expandable via micro SD card slot
So that was the list of best laptop for parents. Alternatively, you can get them one of the best mini PC desktops and pair it with a large display. Getting a mini PC is a better option especially if you already have hardware like monitor, keyboard and mouse at home.