Top laptops for parents and elders in 2017
Which is the best laptop for parents or elders this holiday season or birthday? That is a tough question as you are not buying a laptop for yourself but for someone you love the most.
Finding the best laptop for parents in 2017 is a difficult task. You do not need the latest Core i5 processor while buying laptop for elders or parents. You also do not need to one with 16 gigabytes of memory or two 256GB solid state drives configured in RAID 0 configuration. Keep in mind you are not buying a laptop for yourself and buying something with powerful dedicated graphics card would be a bit overkill as they would not be playing Halo or doing anything graphic intensive. They need something that they can easily use and does not burn their laps with immense heat. In other words, they do not need the best desktop replacement laptop to work on CAD or something. They need something that runs cool and is powerful enough for doing video calls with you, web surfing, Youtube videos and a laptop that does not put strain on their eyes.
What you need to know when buying laptop for your parents?
1. Big display – Get a laptop with minimum 14.1 inch display. As one grows old, their eyes become weak so there is no need to get them a cheap netbook or mini laptop aka laptop with 11” screen. If you get them one, they will spend majority of the time squinting at the small screen trying to make out the text. We do not want that to happen, so the best laptop for elders should come with either 17.3″, 14.1” or 15.6” displays.
2. Storage – Parents like to store a lot of family photos and videos on their computers. Therefore refrain from buying laptops with solid state drives because they usually do not come with lot of storage capacity. In simple words, just get typical laptops with mechanical hard disks. But if responsiveness is what you are looking for, cheap laptops with SSD will do the job fine.
3. Battery Life – Make sure battery runtimes is at least 4 hours as sometimes they would want to use their computers on couch or in bed. You certainly would not want them to lug those heavy chargers with them, do you?
Here are the best laptop for parents in 2017.
Lenovo Ideapad 110
Lenovo Ideapad 110 is the best laptop for parents. It is affordable and packs enough power to run videos and applications. We love the fact it has multitouch display so elder people can simply use their finger to interact with the big 15” display easily. It even has AMD Radeon graphics card for smoother graphics and better performance while viewing multimedia content.
* 15.6 inch touchscreen LED-lit display
* AMD A4-7210 processor clocked at 2.2GHz + AMD Radeon R3 Graphics
* 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard disk, integrated DVD/CD-RW
Dell Inspiron i3552-8040BLK
If you are looking for a really fast laptop for parents and do not want to waste your time on online shopping sites anymore, simply get this rock-solid Dell laptop that costs under 300. It is very light and its solid state drive reduces app and windows runtimes. This laptop has big screen, something people who poor eyesight appreciate. This laptop is very fast thanks to latest processor and fast SSD storage that is like a turbo charger for your laptop.
* Intel Pentium N3700 processor with integrated graphics
* 4 GB RAM + 128 GB SSD Storage
* 15.6 Inch HD display with true life tech
* Windows 10 pre-installed
Acer Aspire ES 15
Acer Aspire ES 15 is an affordable laptop for parents packing the very capable and efficient i3 processor that delivers stellar battery life and decent performance for everyday computing. Acer claims you will be able to get upto 6.5-hours runtime which is amazing. There is 4GB RAM onboard and 1000GB hard disk so there should be no storage related problems with it.
* 15.6″ LED backlit screen, HD 1366×768 pixels
* Intel Core i3-6100u ULV processor, clocked at 2.3GHz with 3MB L3 cache for improved performance, Intel HD Graphics 520
* DDR3L 4GB RAM, 1000GB hard disk, DVD drive
HP Stream 14 - for those parents who want compact and super light laptop with 10 hour battery life
HP Stream 14 is cheap, cheerful and we bet your parents will love it. This 200 dollar laptop boots up very fast thanks to the SSD drive used in it. Windows 10 runs without any lag on it thanks to the speedy processor and SSD storage. Preloaded with windows 10, this deal includes free Office for one year. It has long battery life and super light to carry around. If you are looking for a budget laptop for your parents, this is an excellent choice.
* 14-Inch 1366×768 pixel HD display, 10 hours and 45 minutes of battery life
* Intel Celeron N3060 processor with integrated graphics
* Genuine Windows 10, pre-loaded Office 365 Personal subscription for one year
* 32 GB Solid-State Drive, 4GB RAM, storage expandable via micro SD card slot
This HP laptop offers optimum performance and comes with 15.6 inch display, 500GB hard disk and 4GB RAM. It also has a dedicated num pad and a wonderful 5 hour battery life. This laptop looks professional and has superior build quality. It has big full size keyboard with numberpad – identical to what you find on a mini desktop computer.
* 15.6 inches display with 1366 x 768 pixels screen resolution
* AMD A6-7310 processor with AMD Radeon R4 graphics
* 1000 GB Serial ATA-300 HDD + 4GB RAM; DVD SuperMulti optical disk drive
* Windows 10 Home OS
17 inch laptops for parents
Lenovo IdeaPad 17
This is the cheapest 17″ laptop out there making it ideal for elders with weak eye sight. Big display really helps in reading text and browsing the web. Thanks to large chassis, Lenovo has outfitted it with a large keyboard that has dedicated numberpad as well. There are plenty of ports onboard which makes it a cheap desktop replacement laptop.
* 17.3″ display with HD+ resolution
* Intel Core i3 6100U processor for long battery life
* 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD drive
Acer Aspire ES1
The Acer ES1 offers whopping 1TB hard disk that will ensure that they never run out of storage and with 4GB RAM, you can run multiple apps without slowing it down. It is great for consuming media, completing daily tasks and keeping in touch with your family. Clearly the best laptop for elders and parents.
* 17.3″ (1600*900) Glossy display
* Intel Pentium Processor N4200 1.1-2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 505
* 1TB SATA 5400RPM HDD, 4GB RAM (upgradable to 8GB), Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS
Dell Inspiron i5759-1776BLK
This Dell Inspiron laptop is built like a 1000 dollar laptop but costs half as much since it comes with a Pentium processor and 500GB HDD. That said it is not slow by any means as latest i3 processors have come a long way and when coupled with windows 10, deliver fast and smooth experience.
* 17.3 Inch HD+ (1600×900 pixels) LED-lit Screen
* Intel Core i3-6100U 2.3 GHz Processor
* 4 GB DDR3L SDRAM Included; 16 GB Maximum
* 500 GB HDD Storage; Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
Lenovo Ideapad 110 17.3
Lenovo Ideapad 110 has big display and thin design. It has more than enough computing power for daily tasks and more. If your parents have weak eye sight, they will have absolutely no problem in using the Lenovo Ideapad 110 that has mammoth 17.3 inch display. Lenovo is well known for making high quality laptops and we are sure after buying this laptop to your parents, you won’t face any trouble.
* 17.3-Inch Screen, Mobile Intel HD graphics; 1600 x 900 pixels resolution
* AMD A4-7210 processor + AMD Radeon R3 Graphics
* 4GB + 500 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, DVD/CD-RW drive